Saturday, October 08, 2005


with the lights on.

This light sculpture was a one-night installation for the TNT event and opening of the MCA show on Thursday, October 6th. I installed the light sculpture in a room on the second floor of the museum that faced out over the plaza and the evenings event. I was excited about its positioning there, to serve as a visible beacon marking the show. It was difficult to approach up close, or stare at for very long, but it filled the space with light and heat. This is the advantage of having it in a relatively enclosed space. In this case, the positioning next to the windows also allowed it to serve as a beacon and lure. In the future, I think I would like to install it in a totally enclosed white room which it could entirely fill--the room capturing and using all of the heat and light that the beacon put out. Previously I have installed this in the closed space of my studio, and a larger version hanging in the middle of an entirely open courtyard for the 6th college show last March. (I'll post photos of that below or on my website.)

In any case, here is the label information for this piece, which was published in the program for the nights events:

Chandelier
2005
Variable dimension light sculpture,
Halogen work lamps, extension cords, surge protectors, between 8 X 500W
minimum and 30 X 50 Watt maximum size.
With a special thank you to Walt Whitman.

No comments: